Burnsville High School
Kanawha Alumni Association
|By Susan Hoover,
Class of 1915
|The Board of Education acquired
the 3-room academy building on the hill. It was remodeled and made
four rooms and four teachers were hired: H. H. White, C. A. Wade,
Mary Hamric, and Minnie Campbell. In 1907 R. Moore Dodrill was made
Principal. He gave the first high school work in Burnsville, and
established the high school in 1908. He was succeeded by the
following principals: Goff D. Ramsey, Leo J. Hart, M. J. Squires,
and B. Battle White of Virginia who served for two or three terms.
During the time of B. B. White a 4-room addition was added to the
academy building which was used by grades and high school.
In 1916 a bond issue carried by a large majority, and the
academy building was sold for two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) and
applied on the new grade and high school building. In 1920 the new
building was used by grades and high school. The two present
buildings were completed by 1926. The high school continued to grow
through the years, and many top-rated teachers served through the
years, and the high school was for many years rated among the
accredited high schools of the North Central Association of
Colleges and Secondary Schools.
At the present time, 1977, there is a central high school
for the county and called Braxton County High School.
The first 4-year high school class to graduate was in 1915
having eight members, four of whom are living at this time, May,
1977: Living members are Ralph McKinney, in Indiana; Mary McKinney
McVaney, in Georgia; Lucy Sapp Hall, in Weston; Susan McNemar, and
Ida Stockert Crutchfield.
Prior to 1915, 2-year and 3-year classes had graduated.
Among those graduating in those classes were Clyde Wellen, Draco
Dodrill, William Kidd, John Ptomey, Percy Offutt, Audrey Douglass,
and Ruth Dodrill.
In May, 1920, a class of four graduated: namely, Wallace
Hefner, Edgar Bender, Dora Pitcher, and Ruth Herold. About May 20,
1920, a meeting was held at the home of H. B. Marshall to organize
an Alumni Association. This meeting was called by Thomas I. Feeney,
who suggested the name to be Kanawha Alumni Association. That name
was adopted and Mr. Feeney was made an honorary member.Wallace
Hefner was the first president of the Association and served as
president at later times also.
Each year the graduates were added to the membership and
have grown into a very large organization. Annual dinner meetings
have been held each year from very early in its beginning. Annual
dues increased over the years. Prominent speakers were secured at
times for the meetings. At the May 28, 1977 meeting over 500 meals
were served from the buildings in Burnsville. Many class reunions
were held this year. Each year members come from many other states,
Washington, D. C., and all over the State and surrounding
During the depression and at other times when funds in the
Association were short and money scarce, some of the members
contributed money generously to keep the Association alive through
some of the very lean years. The late Claude Linger was a very
active member, giving money and time to keep it alive each year.
Staunton Trimble and Wallace Hefner, active members, served as
president several times, also donated money generously to keep the
organization active. At the present time, the association has a
balance in the treasury.
This association serves as a very fine way of renewing old
school ties and getting together for renewed friendship.