Kanawha Alumni Association Quiz
May 28, 2011
1. He was an only child of parents who owned a livery stable
in Burnsville. An outstanding athlete, he was awarded a
scholarship to play football at the University of Kentucky.
He was an officer with a Glider infantry unit during World War II
and was killed during Operation Market Garden in Holland in
2. A graduate of the class of 1940, this Alumnus was killed
during Normandy invasion and listed on the Tablets of the Missing
in the Normandy American Cemetery. The Burnsville American
Legion Post was named for him.
3. He was one of four brothers to serve in World War
II. His home was across the river from the pump
station. He was captured by the Germans and died in March
1944 in prison camp.
4. A native of the Riffle Run area, this 1947 graduate was
killed in Luxenbourg during the Battle of the Bulge. He is
buried in Luxenbourg.
5. This soldier who was in the class of 1943 was aboard the
U.S.S. Indianapolis, which carried the atom bomb to Tinian.
After delivering the bomb, the Indianapolis set out for the
Philippine Island. In route, a Japanese submarine sank the
ship. Most of the crew, including this graduate, were killed
by the blast or by the thousands of sharks in the
water. He was a Copen native.
6. This Copen native was in the Class of 1943 and was drafted
out of high school. He was killed in France in November
1944. He was one of four brothers who served during World War
7. His father was a county veteranian, well known to area
farmers. This graduate of 1944 was also killed during the
Battle of the Bulge. He is buried in France.
8. Another graduate of 1944 drafted out of high school.
This soldier was killed in Italy as he tried to get another wounded
soldier to safety. He lived in the Knawl Creek area.
9. A member of the class of 1945 who was drafted out of high
school. This Orlando native was only a short time in France
when he was killed at the Battle of the Bulge.
10. Another native of Knawls Creek area, this graduate of the
Class of 1943 was wounded in Germany in 1945, shortly before the
11. This Burnsville boy was in the Class of 1944 but was
drafted out of high school. Wounded during the European
Campaign, he returned to Burnsville High School after the war and
graduated with the Class of 1947.
12. This Orlando native graduated from Burnsville with the
Class of 1936. A school teacher at the beginning of the war,
he enlisted in the Army Air Force and was a navigator/bomber in
B-17's. His plane was shot down over Hungary in 1944.
He was a prisoner of war to the end of the war. He was
awarded Air Medal and Purple Heart.
13. The brother of Ordie Post who was killed in France in
November 1944, his member of the Class of 1944 was taken prisoner
in the Philippines toward the end of the war.
14. This Burnsville footballer and graduate of the Class of
1942 was taken captive by the Germans and held as a prisoner until
the war's end.
Kanawha Alumni Association Answers
May 28, 2011
1. Tommy Zinn
2. Jackson Knight
3. Richard Godfrey
4. Fred Ocheltree
5. Tom Reed
6. Ordie Post
7. Everett Conrad
8. Delbert McCauley
9. Worthington Hurst, Jr.
10. William Pritt
11. John Vankirk
12. Denver Barnett
13. Junior Post
14. Chester Brown
Alumni Association Quiz
May 24, 2008
1. What graduate of Burnsville High School is the only
alumnus to participate in a sports car race at the Sebring
2. What Kanawha Alumni Association member is the only
alumnae to graduate from high school the same year as her
3. There is a wing of a large elementary school in
Arlington, Virginia named after a Burnsville High School
graduate. Who is the Burnsville graduate?
4. What Burnsville graduate participated in the Mrs.
West Virginia beauty contest and came in second?
5. What Burnsville High School graduate was Homecoming
Queen at Glenville State College?
6. What Burnsville High School graduate was
Superintendent of School of Boone County, West Virginia?
7. What Burnsville High School graduate, along with his
brother James, recorded country music on phonograph records?
8. What honorary Burnsville High School alumni member
attened the one room Pine Run (Lewis County) school that was sawed
in half and moved by truck and re-built at Cedar Creek State
9. What Burnsville High School graduate was a President
of the Glenville State College Alumni Association?
10. What Burnsville High School graduate was the punter for
the Glenville State College football team?
11. What Burnsville High School graduate was a polgraphy
operator for the West Virginia State Police?
12. What Burnsville High School graduate earned a Ph. D. from
Yale University in 1963?
13. What Burnsville High School graduate earned his Ph. D.
from Catholic University with majors in Greek and Aramaic?
14. The son of this Burnsville High School graduate is a
noted author of children's books and among others wrote "Cupid's
Secret". Who is the graduate?
15. This Burnsville High School graduate was the second drum
major in the history of Burnsville High School band?
16. Who was the first drum major for the Burnsville High
17. This world famous fiddle player had seven children to
graduate from Burnsville High School. Who is he?
18. What other family had seven children to graduate from
Burnsville High School?
19. What former principal of Burnsville High School was
president of the Glenville State College Alumni Association?
20. What Burnsville High School graduate was president of the
Glenville State College Foundation Board of Directors?
21. What Burnsville High School graduate was the minister of
the Burnsville Circuit of the Methodist Church when he graduated
from high School?
22. What Burnsville High School graduate recently won
the "Golden Apple" award, which recognizes outstanding teachers in
23. This Burnsville High School graduate was a star football
and basketball player. He served as an Air Force pilot during
World War II in the European theatre and earned the Air Medal with
bronze battle participation stars. He died at age 30 in
1949. Who was he?
24. Besides the "Bruins" do you know another nickname of
Burnsville High School athletic teams?
25. Name two Burnsville High School graduates who were
prisoner of World War II?
26. What Burnsville High School graduate is the only female
to serve as a deputy sheriff in West Virginia and act as a court
27. What Burnsville High School graduate, later a graduate of
Glenville State College and West Virginia University, was the first
executive director of the National Rehabilitation Counseling
Association? This outstanding graduate also a frequent
contributing writer for the Braxton Historical Journal.
28. The Class of 1966 includes two set of twins. Who
29. Recently a panel of academic experts was appointed by the
President of West Virginia University to determine whether Governor
Manchin's daughter was properly awarded a Master's Degree.
One of those panel members is the son of a former teacher and coach
at Burnsville High School. Who was the Burnsville High School
30. This 1945 graduate of Burnsville High School became a
successful businessman in the Detroit area and has generously
remembered his alma mater with scholarship grants to graduating
seniors from Braxton County High School who live in the former
Burnsville High School area?
Kanawha Alumni Quiz Answers
May 24, 2008
1. Chuck Moran, Class of 1963
2. Minnie McNemar, Class of 1983 with daughter
3. Vaughn Duffield, Class of 1923
4. Martha Currance, Class of 1959
5. Betty Brown, Class of 1960
6. Gary Sumpter, Class of 1955
7. Charles Henline, Class of 1939
8. Mary Robey Butler, Wife of Bayward Butler, Honorary
9. Mike Posey, Class of 1928
10. Kermit Mick, Class of 1949
11. Bill Wiant, Class of 1945
12. Harry "Sonny" Wiant, Jr., Class of 1950
13. Dr. Homer Heater, Class of 1951
14. Nancy Steele Kalinowski, Class of 1952
15. Eugene Parrish, Class of 1952
16. Charles Henline, Class of 1939
17. Melvin Wine, father of Elmer, Rita, Havonda, Letcher,
Lewis, Melvin, Jr. and Susie.
18. Harry Wilson family: Wanda Sue, Dixie Lee, Harry
Junior, Margret Ann, Terry Tim, Jerry Jim and Randy Gale
19. Gilbert Reed
20. Tom McPherson, Class of 1954
21. Hayward Rowh, Class of 1943
22. Brenda Snyder Gibson, Class of 1970
23. Buck Marple, Class of 1936
25. Denver Barnett, Class of 1927 and Chester Brown, Class of
26. Pauline McCauley Ziegler, Class of 1941
27. Alfred McCauley, Class of 1932
28. Judith and Julie
and Jerry Wilson
29. Ray Nutter, Faculty 1928 and 1933
30. Claud "Bud" Mick, Jr., Class of 1945
Who was the tallest basketball
player at BHS?
Who was the highest-ranking
military officer to attend a Burnsville School?
Who was the first Burnsville
football player to receive a major college division one
What graduate was the most
decorated military man for valor?
Who was the first Burnsville High
School graduate to return to Burnsville High School to
Who was the first and only female
principal of Burnsville High School?
What graduate is presently a
member of the WVU football team?
What Burnsville High School
graduate has a school named for her?
Who was the Burnsville High
School student who left school for World War II and played football
for Maukato College in Minnesota?
What graduate was selected
Student Body President at Glenville State
What graduate was elected Student
Body President of Davis and Elkins
What graduate was elected to the
Davis and Elkins College Hall of Fame?
13. What Burnsville High School
faculty member was the father of the first
female U.S. Marine Corps officer to have a child and remain in
14. What grad holds a Ph.D. in
engineering mechanics from West Virginia
and taught at the University of New Mexico?
15. What graduate was a federal judge
in West Virginia?
16. What graduate was a national
finalist in a national cooking contest for
Yuletide Sage and Apple Pork Loin Roast?
17. What graduate was awarded the
NASA medal for exceptional service?
graduate served as a Major in the West Virginia Police?
The daughter of what graduate was a two time Class A all state
What graduate later graduated
from Ohio State University as a Doctor
21. What graduate is the father of an
Olympic two time medal winner?
graduate ran for president of the United States in 1944, spent
three cents and
got over 59,000 votes?
graduate led the state in scoring points in football?
graduate played quarterback for West Virginia Wesleyan?
25 What graduate is the mother of a
former Tampa Bay football cheerleader?
26. What graduate was Princess of
West Virginia Strawberry Festival in
27. What graduate retired as an agent
of FBI with over thirty years services?
28. What graduate played football for
29. What graduate was the Director of
Mental Health Service in West
30. What graduate was President of
Gulf Oil, Asia?
(May 2007 ANSWERS)
1. Jim Cobb 1951
2. Admiral Chester Bender,
Commandant, USCG (1932)
3. Tommy Zinn 1936
4. Conrad Stinogle
5. Vaughn Duffield 1923 (1927)
6. Ada Bovey 1916-1917
7. Zack Flint 2004
8. Mary Alice McHenry
9. Leland Mick (1943)
10. Mike Morrison 1957
11. Vaughn Duffield 1923
12. Ran McKinney 1923
13. Gail Auldridge 1929-1930
14. Ronnie McPherson 1952
15. Billy Matt Kidd 1936
16. Harry Lynch 1957
17. Richard Barrett 1952
18. John Bragg 1967
19. Debbie Conrad, daughter of Delmer
20. Sammy Godfrey 1964
21. Gail Smith 1967, father of Rusty
22. Claude Linger 1924
23. Larry Casto 1967, 135 points in 8
24. Allen Mackey 1935
25. Roberta Lindsay 1965, mother of
26. Cherry Dale Ratliff
27. Hughie Ratiff 1962
28. Shannon Shreve 1968
Garrett Moran 1968
Sammy Thomas 1960